Housing Choice Vouchers
Registration for the Preliminary Waiting List for the Housing Choice Voucher Program is OPEN.
This is an Online Only Application Process. Please refer to the registration information below.
Pre-applications will be accepted for the purpose of establishing a Preliminary Waiting List.
Families will be placed on a preliminary list and pulled to establish a Wait List. When funding is available, pre-applications will be RANDOMLY selected using a LOTTERY system. Each household may only apply once for the lottery. Pre-applications will not be pulled in date and time order when establishing a Waiting List.
Applicants must report any changes in address or preference status within 10 business days of the occurrence by going online at www.fresnohousing.org and under “Quick Links” click on Applicant Portal and at least every 12 months to inform the Housing Authority of their continued interest in the program. Failure to do so will result in cancellation from the waiting list.
The Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly Section 8) is a federally-funded program that provides rental assistance to more than 12,000 eligible low-income individuals and families in Fresno County – enabling them to secure affordable, quality housing in diverse neighborhoods throughout Fresno County.
Eligible applicants who receive a voucher are responsible for finding an apartment or house in the private rental market. Close to 3,000 owners of rental properties in Fresno County accept tenants who participate in the program. Rental units must meet Housing Quality Standards (PDF) set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program relies on a set of legally-binding agreements between three parties: the Fresno Housing Authority, the HCV participant (tenant), and an independent owner of rental property (landlord).
- The Voucher is the agreement between Fresno Housing Authority and the tenant.
- The Lease Agreement is between the tenant and the independent owner of rental property (landlord).
- The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract is the agreement between the Fresno Housing Authority and the independent owner of the rental property (landlord).
HCV families pay at least 30% of their adjusted gross income as rent to the landlord. The balance of the rent (up to a certain established amount) is paid to the owner by Fresno Housing Authority.
Related Documents and links
- HCV Online Application
- Applicant Portal
- Fact sheet about the HCV program from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Housing Quality Standards Inspections (PDF)
- Housing Choice Voucher Preferences (PDF)
- Single Family Dwelling Utility Rates(PDF)
- Multi Family Dwelling Utility Rates(PDF)
- Water, Sewer & Garbage Rates(PDF)
- Student Verification Information Sheet(PDF)
- Medical Equipment Allowances(PDF)