Housing Choice Vouchers
Registration for the Preliminary Waiting List for the Housing Choice Voucher Program is currently CLOSED.
The Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly Section 8) is a federally-funded program that provides rental assistance to more than 12,000 eligible low-income individuals and families in Fresno County – enabling them to secure affordable, quality housing in diverse neighborhoods throughout Fresno County.
Eligible applicants who receive a voucher are responsible for finding an apartment or house in the private rental market. Close to 3,000 owners of rental properties in Fresno County accept tenants who participate in the program. Rental units must meet Housing Quality Standards (PDF) set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program relies on a set of legally-binding agreements between three parties: the Fresno Housing Authority, the HCV participant (tenant), and an independent owner of rental property (landlord).
- The Voucher is the agreement between Fresno Housing Authority and the tenant.
- The Lease Agreement is between the tenant and the independent owner of rental property (landlord).
- The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract is the agreement between the Fresno Housing Authority and the independent owner of the rental property (landlord).
HCV families pay at least 30% of their adjusted gross income as rent to the landlord. The balance of the rent (up to a certain established amount) is paid to the owner by Fresno Housing Authority.
Related Documents and links
- Fact sheet about the HCV program from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Housing Quality Standards Inspections (PDF)
- Housing Choice Voucher Preferences (PDF)
- 2017 Single and Multi Family Dwelling Utility Rates (PDF)
- 2017 Water, Sewer & Garbage Rates (PDF)
- Student Verification Information Sheet (PDF)
- 2017 Medical Equipment Allowances (PDF)