Housing Choice Vouchers
Registration for the Preliminary Waiting List for the Housing Choice Voucher Program is CLOSED.
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 11:59pm, Fresno Housing closed all preliminary waiting lists for the Housing Choice Voucher, Low Income Public Housing, and Affordable Housing programs administered by the Fresno Housing Authority.
Applicants selected from the final draw will receive notification that their pre-application was selected from the preliminary waiting list and placed on the final waiting list for each respective program. Pre-applications will not be accepted for any program after July 25, 2016.
Fresno Housing will announce the re-opening of each preliminary waiting list to the public at a future date.
The Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly Section 8) is a federally-funded program that provides rental assistance to more than 12,000 eligible low-income individuals and families in Fresno County – enabling them to secure affordable, quality housing in diverse neighborhoods throughout Fresno County.
Eligible applicants who receive a voucher are responsible for finding an apartment or house in the private rental market. Close to 3,000 owners of rental properties in Fresno County accept tenants who participate in the program. Rental units must meet Housing Quality Standards (PDF) set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program relies on a set of legally-binding agreements between three parties: the Fresno Housing Authority, the HCV participant (tenant), and an independent owner of rental property (landlord).
- The Voucher is the agreement between Fresno Housing Authority and the tenant.
- The Lease Agreement is between the tenant and the independent owner of rental property (landlord).
- The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract is the agreement between the Fresno Housing Authority and the independent owner of the rental property (landlord).
HCV families pay at least 30% of their adjusted gross income as rent to the landlord. The balance of the rent (up to a certain established amount) is paid to the owner by Fresno Housing Authority.
Related Documents and links
- Applicant Portal
- Fact sheet about the HCV program from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Housing Quality Standards Inspections (PDF)
- Housing Choice Voucher Preferences (PDF)
- 2017 Single and Multi Family Dwelling Utility Rates (PDF)
- 2017 Water, Sewer & Garbage Rates (PDF)
- Student Verification Information Sheet (PDF)
- 2017 Medical Equipment Allowances (PDF)